To meet growth demand in the medium term, the Airport Authority (AA) is investing over HK$12 billion in developing new facilities.
Scheduled for completion by the end of 2014, the HK$2.5 billion development involves the construction of:
- 28 parking stands;
- A cross-runway vehicular tunnel linking to the cargo area; and
- Other related supporting facilities.
Located west of Terminal 1 between the two existing runways, the Midfield covers an area of 410,000 square metres. Upon completion of the Midfield development by the end of 2015, Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) will be able to handle 10 million more passengers each year. This development is required to enable HKIA to keep pace with rising aviation traffic regardless of whether a new runway is built.
The HK$10.2 billion Midfield development includes:
- The building of a 105,000-square-metre, five-level concourse;
- 20 parking stands;
- Extension of the automated people mover (APM) connecting the Midfield with Terminal 1 and other passenger facilities;
- Construction of a cross-field taxiway; and
- Adoption of 35 green features to attain BEAM Plus* Gold Standard.
*BEAM Plus is a comprehensive assessment scheme that certifies the environmental performance of buildings.