The success of Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) as an aviation hub has led to spectacular growth over the years in air traffic demand. The IATA Consulting estimates that, at a base-case level, HKIA will be receiving 102.3 million passengers and 8.9 million tonnes of cargo per year by 2030 while handling 607,000 flight movements. However, the practical capacity of the two-runway system is only 420,000 flight movements.
In 2012, HKIA handled 56.5 million passengers, 4.03 million tonnes of cargo and 352,000 flight movements. These figures showed that our traffic volumes have been ahead of the HKIA Master Plan 2030 forecast. In other words, HKIA is fast approaching its maximum handling capacity.
Under a three-runway system, HKIA will be able to accommodate 620,000 flight movements per year, meeting its demand up to the year 2030.
The recommendation is for a third runway to be located north and parallel to the existing two runways. Development of the three-runway system will involve:
- Land formation of about 650 hectares to the north of the existing airport island, about 40% of which falls on an area of contaminated mud pits;
- Construction of a third runway, related taxiway systems and navigation aids, and airfield facilities;
- Construction of the third runway aprons and passenger concourses;
- Expansion of the existing Terminal 2;
- Extension of the automated people mover;
- Extension of the baggage handling system;
- Improvement of the road network in the passenger and cargo areas as well as new landside transportation facilities, including new car parks;
- A greywater recycling system at the proposed airport expansion area (with a capacity of about 15,000 m3 per day);
- Necessary modifications to existing marine facilities including the underwater aviation fuel pipelines and 11kV submarine cable between HKIA and the off-airport fuel receiving facilities, sea rescue facilities and navigation aids; and
- Any other modification, reconfiguration, and / or improvement of the facilities on the existing airport island as a result of the third runway.
A dedicated website has been launched to provide updated information about the expansion of HKIA into a three-runway system. For details, please click here.